expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Felt Car

I was completely in shock at how much my boys love this little car. I had originally made it for a project that I’m mulling over, but may have to make another one since this one has been commandeered…DSCN5286

  1. Start by drawing a basic car shape the size you want it. Make sure all of the different parts are wide enough that even when the felt blurs the shape, you can still tell what it is. Cut that out and use your little pattern to cut out a piece of foam that size (or you could just skip the foam and stuff the car with filling).DSCN5278
  2. Cut out 2 car pieces with additional seam allowance (1/2 an inch or so around the pattern) and a strip of felt long enough to go around the entire car with a slight overlap. The strip should also be 1/2-3/4 of an inch wider than your car is.DSCN5279
  3. Carefully sew the strip to one side car piece using the seam allowance you gave yourself (1/4-3/4 of an inch depending on how much extra you cut around the pattern). You’ll have to turn, angle, start and stop a lot if you sew anything like me, and it will be a little awkward but just make sure you’re always sewing through both pieces. You may want to pin the pieces together for easier managing.
  4. Sew the other side car piece to the strip, making sure the front is on the front of the car, and the back is the right way. Leave an opening big enough to fit the foam or stuffing through.DSCN5281
  5. As you turn your car right side out, stuff the foam into it. Squish it this way and that to get it to fit in the felt properly. DSCN5282
  6. Hand sew the opening closed using a ladder stitch.DSCN5283
  7. Cut out wheels and lights from appropriately colored felt. I used a quarter to trace my wheels.
  8. Hand stitch the wheels and lights on (I used a blanket stitch) and watch your car drive away in the hands of little ones who can’t stand waiting another minute for their cute little auto.DSCN5285DSCN5289
 

3 comments:

  1. verry cute! I can see why its so treasured. Great how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little guys would love this too - it's super cute. Would love if you linked it to my Craftastic party:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love felt - who knew! Great car, and I like your strawberries too. First, I'm following you everywhere - T, FB, and GFC. I'm also having a blog hop right now, and would love for you to come by and link up! http://www.meldreamsoften.com/2011/05/fancy-friday-blog-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments